Personal Injury Attorney FAQs Godfrey, IL

Personal Injury Attorney FAQs

Suffering an injury because another person was negligent is a difficult situation to cope with. Not only do you have the medical facet of the matter to handle, but you also have to think about how the situation is going to impact your finances. One option that you have in these cases is to seek compensation for the damages you’ve suffered.

What happens when you seek compensation?

A personal injury lawsuit is filed in civil court. The injured party is known as the complainant. The party that the complainant is holding liable for the crash is the defendant. It is possible to have more than one defendant in a case if there is more than one party who shares the liability of the accident.

How are personal injury cases resolved?

personal injury godfrey il

The case is resolved either through a pre-trial settlement or through a jury trial. Carefully considering any settlement might be worth the effort because you can usually walk away with more money faster than if you go through a trial.

How is the personal injury attorney paid?

Personal injury attorneys are usually paid on a contingency basis. This means you don’t pay them upfront. Instead, they collect a portion of the settlement or award that you receive. If your claim isn’t successful, you don’t owe the attorney anything. These attorneys want you to get a fair amount of compensation, and the bigger the award, the more they get paid.

What kinds of damages can you seek?

Personal Injury Paperwork

There are many types of damages you can claim in a personal injury lawsuit. You have to be able to show that the expenses are directly related to the injury you suffered in the incident that was due to the defendant’s negligence.

Some examples of what’s considered damages in these cases include medical expenses and missed wages. When you think of medical expenses, be sure to include what your insurer paid because of subrogation. This occurs when your insurer turns to you after you reach a settlement or receive an award to recover the money it spent on your care.

Brunton Law Office is here to help you learn about how personal injury laws apply to your situation. Contact us to work with one of our compassionate and knowledgeable Godfrey, IL professionals today.

For More Information Call Us at (618) 343-0750

claims lawyer collinsville illinois

Brunton Law Offices features Michael Brunton, a qualified and accomplished attorney that provides legal assistance for worker’s comp claims, personal injury law, employment law, and other matters in Collinsville, IL and throughout the St. Louis Metropolitan Area.

Like What You See? Share Our Business Information with Others!
Share on facebook
Share on pinterest
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on email